Dr. Adam Cien
Dr. Cien is a board-certified and fellowship-trained orthopaedic surgeon specializing in hip and knee replacement with specific training in the direct superior approach total hip replacement, MAKO robotic-arm assisted total knee replacement, as well as, revision hip and knee replacement. He is an Adjunct Clinical Assistant Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery at the Indiana University School of Medicine.
Dr. Adam Cien
Dr. Cien is a board-certified and fellowship-trained orthopaedic surgeon specializing in hip and knee replacement with specific training in the direct superior approach total hip replacement, MAKO robotic-arm assisted total knee replacement, as well as, revision hip and knee replacement. He has extensive experience ranging from minimally invasive joint replacement surgery to fracture care to complex joint revision surgery.
Dr. Cien earned his Bachelor of Science degree at Loyola University Chicago and a Master of Science degree at Rush University in Chicago, IL. Afterward, he earned his Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine degree from Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine and completed his Orthopaedic Surgery Residency at Michigan State University. He went on to complete fellowship training in Adult Reconstruction at the world-renowned Hedley Orthopaedic Institute in Phoenix, AZ. Since 2019, Dr. Cien has been serving as an Adjunct Clinical Assistant Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery at the Indiana University School of Medicine.
Dr. Cien enjoys the hands-on nature of orthopaedic surgery and the tangible results he sees in his patients every day. He also greatly values the personal relationships he forms with his patients, getting to know them as individuals and guiding them on the road to recovery. His mission is to restore function and improve quality of life with pain-free joints.
Outside of work, Dr. Cien enjoys traveling and spending time with his wife, Rachel.
Know more about Dr. Adam Cien please visit: www.dradamcien.com
- Birthplace: Chicago, IL
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons
- American Osteopathic Academy of Orthopedics
- American Osteopathic Association
Mako Robotic-Arm Assisted Knee Replacement
- Knee Pain
- Knee Arthritis
- Knee Fracture
- Meniscal Injuries
- Knee Arthroscopy
- Total Knee Replacement
- Partial Knee Replacement
- Revision Knee Replacement
- Outpatient Knee Replacement Surgery
- Patellar Tendon Repair
- Meniscal Surgery
- Knee Fracture
- Hip Pain
- Hip Arthritis
- Hip Fractures
- Hip Injury
- Hip Bursitis
- Avascular necrosis
- Total Hip Replacement
- Minimally Invasive Total Hip Replacement
- Hip Hemiarthroplasty
- Revision Hip Replacement
- Hip Labral Repair
- Direct Superior Total Hip Replacement
Foot & Ankle
Hand & Wrist
- American Osteopathic Board of Orthopedic Surgery
- Hedley Orthopaedic Institute Phoenix, AZ
- Michigan State University East Lansing, MI
- Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine Erie, PA
- Rush University Chicago, IL
- Loyola University Chicago Chicago, IL
- 53880 Carmichael Drive
South Bend, IN 46635
- 60160 Bodnar Blvd
Mishawaka, IN 46544
- 2349 Lake Ave Suite 201
Plymouth, IN 46563
- 5218 Beck Drive Suite 10
Elkhart, IN 46516
Hospital & Surgery Center Locations
- Memorial Hospital of South Bend
- Saint Joseph Regional Medical Center – Mishawaka
- Saint Joseph Regional Medical Center – Plymouth Campus
- Allied Physicians Surgery Center, South Bend
- Unity Medical & Surgical Hospital - Mishawaka
- Dr. Cien is extremely personable, explains things very thoroughly, and treats you with respect. Takes the time to answer any questions and never seems like he is in a rush to get out. His sole focus is on you during the visit. I had knee revision surgery in February. Dr. Cien did an outstanding job. I am done with Therapy and doing all my exercises on my own. Healing faster than with the original surgery. I would strongly recommend Dr. Cien for any surgery. This guy really knows what he is doing.
- Met Dr. Cien in the hospital when he did emergency surgery for a strep infected knee. I have follwoed through with Dr. Cien including another surgery to replace the knee with a new one. He has been helpful and concerned for my care and has seen me through a very tough time in my life. He is an exceptional doctor and I have and would recommend him to others.
- I fell on a pier up in New Buffalo and broke my left hip, Dr. Cien was very reassuring and I felt confident that he really knows his stuff. I have had good results from the surgery and I believe he did a great job.
- I was so pleased with Dr Cien when he did a knee replacement for me. He was very thorough explaining about the surgery and the recovery. He is so caring and spends the time with you to answer all your questions. I am so thankful for finding Dr Cien and highly recommend him to others.
- DR Cien I met Dr Cein in an emergency situation August 1st 2019 due to a fall at my home. He was the Dr on call that evening. He was very kind , efficient and was very informative with me as well as my family in what I was going to need repaired. Every other visit after has been informative. He is kind and I feel blessed that he is "Hip Doctor"
- Dr. Cien was on point with my diagnosis, including the recommended medical care required. Even though my health issue was a common occurrence, I was treated with the utmost care and respect by Dr. Cien and his staff.
- I had my right hip replaced on 14 August 2019. Before surgery Dr. Cien explained the surgery on how it was to be performed, after care and physical therapy.Everything went just like he said it would. Recovery was quick and physical therapy didn't take as long. I would highly recommend Dr. Cien to anyone and if I need any other surgeries I will definitely be going to Dr. Cien. or was to be performed
- My original surgeon has retired and I was referred to Dr. Cien for my hip revision. My original surgery was 24 years ago and needed to be revised. I was impressed with my first contact with him, and have not been disappointed through the total process. His preop procedures were very thorough and alleviated the possibility of infection through the surgery. He is always very approachable, his explanations are easy to understand, his bedside manner is impeccable and he answered all of my questions. I am completely satisfied with my experience with him and would highly recommend him for any needed surgery.
- I was to the point of having to use a walker at times because my hip was so painful and I could no longer climb stairs. Dr. Cien answered all of my questions about the surgery and set my mind at ease. He's not in a rush like some doctors, he is very caring and professional. I had my hip replacement on April 29, 2019. After the surgery I was up and walking and climbing stairs within a couple hours of the surgery! I was amazed. My physical therapist was also amazed with the speed of my recovery and the fact that I had no post-surgery restrictions. Since the surgery I have had two follow-up visits and I couldn't be happier with the outcome. I highly recommend Dr. Cien. He and his team were fantastic!
- Dr Cien has been great all the way through my knee issue. Easy going, easy to understand instructions; explains things in a manner you can understand. I feel he really is concerned for your well being, progress and healing. I would definitely recommend Dr Cien to anyone with a knee issue.
- Had total knee replacement surgery on May 1st and was up walking that afternoon. Started PT 2 days later and was walking without cane/walker within 2 weeks. Very pleased so far with recovery & follow up appointments. Never feel rushed during office visits & Dr. Cien takes time to listen to all my concerns. Explained fully amount of time needed for full recovery & abilities after surgery. Would highly recommend.
- Dr. Cien is great. I had hip replacement in May and I'm doing great. I do not have any restrictions. I had my other hip done by a different doctor and I have restrictions and it still pains me. Thank God I was referred to Dr. Cien.
- Very pleased with my knee replacement. I was up and walking the same day as surgery.
- And as a final word, you will only get better when you go for complete recovery through hard work, and as a side note, I have never been to re-hab, as I did it the way I thought best based on literature provided me by Dr. Cien’s office.
- I have had two hips replaced by Dr Cien and his team. I was treated with respect and care. I felt as if everyone made it their priority that I would have the best outcome possible, be well informed, and comfortable.