Dr. Michael Yergler is a specialist in Sports Medicine and a 1995 graduate of The Indiana University School of Medicine in Indianapolis, Indiana. After completing his residency in orthopaedic surgery at the University of Florida College of Medicine in 2000, he completed a sports medicine fellowship at San Diego Arthroscopy and Sports Medicine. He is certified by the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgeons in both Orthopaedic Surgery and Sports Medicine. He has also served as team physician and consultant for the University of Notre Dame men's and women's basketball team for 20 years. Dr. Yergler has a strong passion for sports and medicine. He takes pride in his ability to relate to his patients and aims to help his patients remain active. When Dr. Yergler is away from the office/surgery, he enjoys spending time with his spouse, Amy as well as his children, Abigail, Allison, Anna, and Andrew. They enjoy skiing, traveling, and attending Notre Dame sporting events.
University of Notre Dame
- Team Physician – Men's & Woman's Basketball, Men's & Woman's Soccer
- Team Physician – All Olympic Sports
Medical Society Memberships
- Fellow of American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Council of Delegates Representative for State of Indiana
- American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine
- Arthroscopy Association of North America
- Indiana State Medical Association
- Indiana Orthopaedic Society
- Notre Dame Orthopaedic Society
Team Physician Experience
- San Diego Gulls Professional Hockey Team
- University of Florida
- University of California - San Diego
- San Diego State University
- Grossmont College
- NASA Space Shuttle Disaster Physician
- Knee Pain
- Knee Arthritis
- Knee Fracture
- Meniscal Injuries
- Ligament Injuries
- Patellar Instability
- Knee Arthroscopy
- Knee Ligament Reconstruction
- ACL Reconstruction
- MCL Reconstruction
- Patellar Tendon Repair
- Meniscal Surgery
- Cartilage Repair
- Knee Fracture
- Knee Osteotomy
- Hip Pain
- Hip Fractures
- Hip Injury
- Hip Bursitis
- Femoroacetabular Impingement
- Hip Abductor Tears
- Avascular Necrosis
- Hip Arthroscopy
- Hip Hemiarthroplasty
- Core Decompression for Avascular Necrosis of the Hip
- Hip Distraction
- Hip Preservation Surgery
- Hip Labral Repair
Foot & Ankle
Hand & Wrist
- Elbow Bursitis
- Lateral Epicondylitis (Tennis Elbow)
- Throwing Injuries
- Tricep’s Tendonitis
- Tennis Elbow Surgery
- Diplomate of American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Subspecialty Certificate in Orthopaedic Sports Medicine
Fellowship Training in Arthroscopy & Sports Medicine
- San Diego Arthroscopy and Sports Medicine Center, San Diego, CA
- University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
- Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN
- Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN
- 53880 Carmichael Drive
South Bend, IN 46635
- 60160 Bodnar Blvd
Mishawaka, IN 46544
- 5218 Beck Drive Suite 10
Elkhart, IN 46516
Hospital & Surgery Center Locations
- Memorial Hospital of South Bend
- Saint Joseph Regional Medical Center – Mishawaka Campus
- Allied Physicians Surgery Center, South Bend
- Unity Medical & Surgical Hospital - Mishawaka
- Dr. Yergler rebuilt my shoulder in 2002 after a radical dislocation with torn labrum and ligament. 15 years later, still going strong!
Self-verified patient of Dr. Michael A Yergler - Posted on October 27th, 2016Dr. Yergler is a very good doctor. Takes pride in his work and very good at it. He cares about his patients. Dr. Yergler helped me get back to life. I can not thank him enough for what he done for me.
Self-verified patient of Dr. Michael A Yergler - Posted on October 28th, 2015Wonderful guy! Did a wonderful job on my ACL. Recommend him all day,everyday
Self-verified patient of Dr. Michael A Yergler - Posted on January 24th, 2014The one thing that stood out was how comfortable I was when I meet Dr. Yergler. His professionalism, attention to detail, and patient care was outstanding. I knew that he would get me back to the active life style I enjoy. Thanks Doctor Yergler and staff for all you have done for me.
Self-verified patient of Dr. Michael A Yergler - Posted on September 15th, 2013I had a trimalleolar fracture (broken ankle). Dr Mike put my ankle back together and it is doing amazing. I am blessed to have such a great surgeon!!!
Self-verified patient of Dr. Michael A Yergler - Posted on January 2nd, 2012Took my daughter to him twice,different knees,would and recommend to all people I've known. The entire experience is first class from assessment to final session of physical therapy. If anything ever happened again I would go back in a heart beat. Drove 80 miles each way just to get the care my daughter deserved.
Self-verified patient of Dr. Michael A Yergler - Posted on December 17th, 2011Dr. Mike is a true healer, and brilliant at his craft. I've had both my shoulders repaired by him. I'm pain free and have quality of life again. Doc has an extremely funny sense of humor regarding his bed side manner. A real class act guy. I'd refer him to everyone!
Self-verified patient of Dr. Michael A Yergler - Posted on December 8th, 2011He is a very good as a surgery and would never stop going to him for my treatments or surgeries. He is a great suregon
Self-verified patient of Dr. Michael A Yergler - Posted on November 9th, 2011Thanks for all you do for me and getting me back to work without any problems. Your care and concern for the little things as well as the big things are greatly appreciated. I appreciate your staff and their kindness and concern for my well-being.
Self-verified patient of Dr. Michael A Yergler - Posted on November 9th, 2011I've had two rotator cuff surgeries by Dr Mike with great success. I had no significant pain after either surgery and took no pain drugs. And recovery afterward was excellent. This doctor really knows what he is doing. I find him very willing to answer questions with a great attitude and great sense of humor. I highly recommend him and would go to no one else.
Self-verified patient of Dr. Michael A Yergler - Posted on August 19th, 2009He's an excellent surgeon, but I wish he would spend more time answering my questions and giving me instructions.